Thursday, November 19, 2015

Peace and Travel

Almost everyone who travels experiences the fear of one thing or another: flying, losing luggage, getting lost, going alone, running out of money, being mugged, etc. I've experienced several of these myself. But one extreme fear that has been on every travelers' mind recently is terrorism. With recent events around the world, it seems that simply studying abroad has become a much more dangerous activity.

But is it?

I won't lie and say that I'm not worried or afraid about living in Europe during the current threats and attacks, and I certainly won't tell others to take a chill pill and carry on like nothing has happened. That would be stupid. Of course my sense of paranoia is slightly heightened and I'm a little more worried about traveling and exploring Italy. After the attacks in Paris last weekend, there was an outpouring of love and concern sent my way from family, friends, and loved ones. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated people checking in and showing their concern for my safety. I quickly reassured each person who messaged me, telling them "Don't worry! I'm completely safe here in Italy. I'm no where near Paris, and don't plan on leaving this country for the remainder of my semester abroad."

My message may have been a little premature as I received the following email this morning from the Italian government.


Not really what I wanted to wake up to this morning, but important nonetheless. While I have already made my trip to Rome a few weeks ago and had no plans to return this month, the fear and paranoia I had been experiencing for the past week since Paris became just a little more real. I'll admit that at first I was really freaked out. After all, I had just told my loved ones that I was "completely safe" in Italy. Obviously, no one can really be completely safe anywhere in the world. There's always the threat of danger, even in your own home. But in regards to terrorism I was naive to believe that I could go my final month abroad without being any more concerned with it than I had been previously. However, I refuse to let my fear of what may or may not happen a few hundred miles away to keep me locked in my apartment and constantly looking over my shoulder. That is no way to study abroad, or to live life in general.

I have not made any Facebook posts about the recent events in Paris over the last week for several reasons. However, there are a few things that I need to voice opinion on in response to what I've seen and heard, and now seems like an appropriate time.

1. I've seen a many articles and videos blaming Muslims for these attacks. It needs to be made very clear that Muslims are NOT behind these acts of terror -- terrorists are. Extremists who believe fear is the way to win. If you're someone who has shared one of these articles in support of closing mosques in the US, or giving priority to Christian refugees seeking asylum in America**, then I strongly suggest you dig a little deeper and open your mind. Instead of sharing articles supporting hatred, watch one of the dozens of videos of Muslims standing in the middle of a city, blindfolded, showing their trust of other citizens and asking for a hug. A. HUG. These people are seeking love and acceptance. They're asking for forgiveness for something they haven't even done, and because of bigots and prejudiced people they have been marked as a terrorist. I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in a world where people are judged based on who they are. Oh wait, we already do. It's time for a change.

**side rant** Many people are also sharing images and posts in frustration that the U.S. is accepting refugees while there are still so many American veterans left homeless on the street. While the high amount of homeless vets is concerning and problematic, this has been an ongoing problem that many organizations have worked on addressing. Yes, there are still too many people that are homeless in our country. However, this is no reason to reject others who also need our help. Refugees seeking asylum had no other choice to but leave their homes, their families, their belongings behind thousand upon thousands of miles away. Their very lives depended on running. Who are we to turn away men, women, and children who wish they could go home but can't? Is it disheartening that we can't even help everyone in our own country? Of course. Should we still work on finding homes for those who fought for our country? Absolutely. But we also have the responsibility as human beings to be compassionate towards others who seek shelter and safety within our country. They have done nothing wrong and they certainly don't deserve to be treated with discrimination and hatred.


I encourage all of you to take 10 minutes out of your day to see just how dangerous and difficult it is for a refugee to find asylum with this interactive website. Remember those books where you chose your own destiny? It's like that, but so much more serious and informational because it takes you through real life choices and their potential consequences that refugees have had to make. Thank you Alex for sharing this website with me! http://twobillionmiles.com

2. Unfortunately, ISIS attacks are nothing new. Thousands upon thousands of people have become victim to their violence in countries all over the Middle East. Last week's attack on Paris had a death toll of less than 130. This is one of the smallest numbers of any attack ISIS has carried out, yet it has received the most amount of media coverage. Please do not believe that I am not wholeheartedly upset and in shock about those whose lives where destroyed in Paris. My deepest respect and condolences go out to everyone affected last weekend. However, I am also deeply bothered by and concerned with the media coverage of the attacks and the resulting response by Western countries. Do we have a reason to increase caution and be hyperaware of what's going on around us? Yes. But terrorism hasn't become any more real or any more of a threat than it has been to people around the world. It shouldn't have taken the attack on Paris for the media to cover how serious this threat is. 

At the same time, the media coverage is playing right into the hands of ISIS. While it is incredibly important for people to be informed about current events, being constantly bombarded with images, videos, stories, and threats is only causing the level of fear to rise. Again, I'm not saying people shouldn't be afraid. I'm saying that there is a line between fear and terror. Being afraid can help with survival, increasing vigilance and a better response reflex. Spreading terror is what's deadly. The excessive media coverage is causing terror, which is exactly what helps give power to those we are trying to protect ourselves against. Terror causes people with very little experience or education about the topic to make rash decisions and provoke even more violence. Terror causes mass groups of people to act without logic and cause a lot of damage. The excessive coverage of a group of horrible human beings only spreads terror, which the goal of ISIS to begin with.


3. I have overheard a few people on different occasions say they are afraid to walk around now because they don't know who might be trying to kill them. I could be snarky here and say "Ladies, haven't we always been told we should be fearful of people *cough* men *cough* that are looking to hurt us? That we should never walk alone at night? To watch our drink, dress appropriately, and take a self defense class? We've been trained for something like this, for survival, since we were taught that we had lady parts. You got this." Obviously, my feminist sarcasm doesn't totally cover the topic at hand. However, I will say that this newly developed paranoia of everyone is extreme. There will always be dangerous people looking to hurt others. Like I said earlier, we can never be "completely safe." But this does not mean that, due to recent events, you should lose trust in everyone around you. Don't live in a constant state of fear. Again, just be vigilant. 99% of the people in this world mean you no harm. Don't seek the worst in people, or assume that someone intends to harm you based on some aspect of their social identity. 

Part of me wants to apologize if this blog post came of as being a rant, but a bigger part of me says not to. While this may not have been in the same entertaining style as my previous posts, it's just as important, if not even more so. Hey, it's my blog. I can do what I want. 


This post covers a very serious and relevant topic in the world today. I do not claim to be an expert on any of these current events, but it does not make any of my arugments less valid. I'm a 21 year old woman studying abroad, living in Europe while countries not too far away from me have been attacked and Italy has been threatened. My opinion counts. It is incredibly important to me that you, readers of my blog post, take the following points away from this post: 

1. Muslims are not terrorists -- Islam extremists are. 
2. While what happened in Paris is tragic, we also need to recognize the other horrible acts and acknowledge the thousands of other victims world wide. 
3. Pay attention to the news, but to not drown in it. Learn enough to be afraid, but not to be terrified. 4. Do not let your fear of what may happen control how you live your life. Be aware and be concerned, but do not live in fear or they win. 
5. Keep your faith in humanity. As hard as that may be sometimes, it's what's going to help get this world back on track. 
6. Help those in need. 
7. Live your life to the fullest. Hug your loved ones. Be safe.

Until next time <3


No comments:

Post a Comment